The SWINK Charity Trek 2008 Suzie Walks in the North with Keats

Welcome to my blog. I will be keeping this page up to date with developments as I work towards my target to raise £5000 shared between the Lymphoedema Support Network and St Margaret's Somerset Hospice.

Helm Crag

Helm Crag

Thursday 13 March 2008

Well - its booked...

Well it's booked - at least my march planning trip is. I have been thinking about this for such a long time that I was beginning to think it was all a fantasy. Peter has no leave left so I will be all on my own - Monday 17th March to Good Friday in a B&B in Bowness. This is almost more of a challenge to me than the walk itself. I don't go away from my family often and rarely alone. I will be taking all my gizmos with me and will be in close touch with everyone but it is still a wrench.

I really need to do this though, not only as a personal challenge but because the first section from Lancaster to Kendal promises to be rather boring and perhaps impossible - much if it is along A roads and I am not going to put myself in the way of any danger. I can visualise the area within the Lakes, and can consider alternatives to the main roads if necessary (with the help of my brother) but the first part of the walk may have to be curtailed or followed in a different way - by public transport or by car covering as much of the ground on foot as possible, stopping to take photos and record impressions. No one wants to do this bit with me anyway so I will get it over with before I go up with Jane and Phil in June and with Peter and James in August.

I would also like to drum up a little more sponsorship. I sent out more than 140 letters and have only had about 15 positive replies. The vast majority have not even replied, though some have written to say sorry but can't help. The one I find most difficult to accept is Sainsbury's. They wrote a long letter telling me they were marvellous and worked hard in the community and then saying they couldn't let me have even a measly voucher. Tesco gave me £10 and I thought 'well, every little helps'.. They seem generous in comparison.

I also haven't heard from compression hosiery companies who are frankly making a mint out of people like me and our necessary compression stockings (yuk). I think I may just have to send them another letter....

Anyway - best close now and continue when the adventure has started next week. I will also be uploading some photos as that is a critical part of my walk - I want to write up my experience and illustrate it with photos a little more inspiring than in previous books on the subject. I have bought myself a digital voice recorder so i can chatter away as I walk and hopefully write it up later. The wonders of modern science..

No comments: